Tuesday 26 August 2008

as if by magic


My squash plants are producing babies at last! What a surprise I got when I saw these.


These are the female parts, so now they need fertilising by the male flower, which you can do by hand when the female flower opens. I learnt a lot about growing your own, from a great allotment site.
However my Dad always had a great vegetable patch (and still does), so I guess its in the blood. As I'm going back to my roots I should mention my Mum is a dressmaker, (its in the family) so I couldn't escape the urge to sew and hoard fabric could I.

We ate our first sweetcorn last night, actually we shared it as the crop has been so poor this year, I think we will be lucky to get 4 or 5 more. Last year I grew sweetcorn for the first time and we had a bumper crop, even had to throw some on the compost! Anyway it tasted lovely, I picked this cob and cooked it straight away, otherwise the sugars quickly turn to starch.

An update on tomato watch. I have a red tomato!! Actually tomato watch has turned into blight watch, a few of the leaves have had brown patches, so I have my eye on the foliage now not the tomatoes as its the first sign of blight. At least I'll have one tomato for lunch today!

3 comments:

Simone said...

The photos are wonderful. It seems you're good at sowing and sewing then?!!

Lindsey said...

Ooh that curly tendril... Nature always does it best.
I've tagged you on my blog if you'd like to play.

ginny said...

hello,
i adore that top photo ... it's stunning.
Thanks for leaving me a comment... i am enjoying reading your blog... you have a gorgeous garden and so beautifully tended. Are you doing the vintage and Handmade fair too?.. saw the button on the side bar. Hope to meet you there if so.
warm wishes
ginny x