Sunday 18 December 2011

so here it is...MARY Christmas

 After a number of months of secret squirrelling 
I can now do the reveal.
 Mary (Molly Flanders)has received my parcel now, so I can show you what 
an unbelievably beautiful quilt she has made me.
 We decided to have a little swap as we both admire each others work.
The idea was to make a mini quilt...
though Mary got a bit carried away with hers!
I don't know what I've done to deserve this,
it's really humbled me;
has all this generosity from across the pond.
Mary is well known for her gorgeous hand quilting.
I now know how amazing it is.
Just look how it transforms her quilt.
 I also received the lovely C from 'our' 
favourite shop Anthropologie!!
And a cute hankie Mary bought from an Amish store.
 C is for Clare or C is for Christmas?
 Thankfully it's been a crisp but sunny day,
so you can see how beautiful the colours are.
It's so me!
 You are my sunshine 
my only sunshine...
 ditto!
Thankyou Mary for your generous gifts and your wonderful friendship.
Please pop over to Marys place...
make sure you have plenty of time though 
because you will be there some time!
 Here is the mini quilt I sent Mary.
Fabric wise it's a close relative to the summer of love quilt,
which Mary loved so much.
Though I've used a mix of vintage and modern to keep it up to date.
I pieced it by hand using the English paper method.
The pattern is called rose star,
I shall write an in depth post in the new year,
as well as a tutorial.
 I also sent some goodies.
A gingerbread lady and a homemade layer cake.
So here it is merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun....


*lyrics courtesy of Slade!

24 comments:

andamento said...

Wow, lovely quilts. Both gorgeous but if I had to pick a favourite it would be the one you made, I love the colourful and dramatic blocks you've used.

I'm reading Chocolat at the moment too.

Serenata said...

Two very lovely quilts, both the one you sent and the one you received. Have a lovely Christmas Clare

Molly said...

Both quilts are fantastic and awe-inspiring. I love imagining these two beauties passing each other in the air somewhere! I think you both got a great package :)

Simone said...

Both quilts are equally stunning Clare. You seem to have very similar tastes. I would have been excited to receive either parcel. Have a very 'Mary' Christmas enjoying your new quilt. x

lavender attic said...

Cosy and beautiful quilts. Gorgeous work ladies x

Mary said...

Oh I so agree that I was spoiled beyond belief with the lovely quilt and treats from Clare! She is a lovely soul!!!

Hen said...

Wow, both quilts are very beautiful, what a lovely early pressie. V envious!
Hen x

two bones and a bagle said...

What very clever ladies you are. The quilts are beautiful. Mary Christmas to you both.

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Oh goodness, both of the quilts are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Truly beautiful, both of them. And chocolat is one of my favourite books of all time!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Hi, I've popped over from Mary's, The quilts you made each other are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

what stunning quilts!!!

Unknown said...

Incredible work, what talents you are! Have a wonderful Christmas and a fulfilling New Year in which all your hopes and dreams come true! love Annie xx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Stunning quilts Clare, both of them. You are both very talented and very lucky. :)
V x

FeatherDuster said...

What wonderful gifts to and from each other.

Andrea said...

a wonderful exchange! very beautiful work of the two!

Susan said...

Your quilt was stunning, Clare! You certainly made Mary's day!

Lisa said...

You are both very, very clever to be able to make such beautiful gifts for each other. Just gorgeous.
Lisa x

Nicky said...

Well it looks like you were meant to be together - just a little pond inbetween!

They are both still gorgeous! Quilts and peeps!

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Just beautiful and you are both so talented!

Helen Philipps said...

Both the quilts are absolutely beautiful....what a perfect swap! You are both clever and talented quilters. All your other goodies are fantastic too.
Merry Christmas, Clare.
Helen x

Natalie said...

I would love to know what paper piece shapes and sizes you used to make your Rose and Star quilt! It's beautiful and I think I need to make a table runner for my dinning room using that layout :)

Lynne said...

Wow, they are two fabulous quilts!

CiCi1978 said...

I can't wait for you to post your tutorial. Please post soon. It is beautiful. I've been looking for my next top to piece. I think I found it! Yours is beautiful.