Thursday 11 June 2009

stars and stripes

As promised the finished quilt!!
(photos courtesy of mr fetes camera)


I am quite pleased with the finished quilt, though I would have preferred no binding, but as the quilting stitch was so close to the edge it would have been tricky.


I'm glad I chose a patterned reverse,
(inspired by Marys quilt I think)
I was going to use white, but now I have two quilts in one.


Oh heavenly machine quilting, this was my first go with the machine, I like the way it gives a more professional finish. As I sat down to begin it dawned on me that it would turn out a stars and stripes quilt, much to the amusement of the old man. Such excitement!



It is a quilt to keep our toes warm in the winter, so during the summer I might use it elsewhere, which is another bonus for using a beachy style stripe that seems to go with the rest of the house.


stars


stripes



Now maybe I can get on with making some hearts to sell at last!!


ps. for the inspiration and progress of this quilt click on the label patchwork.

13 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wow, your quilt is gorgeous. Love the stars. Did you use a pattern for it? So pretty.

Simone said...

You've done a great job. I love the colours that you have chosen. It has a real 'New England' look about it.

Ellouise88 said...

So beautiful and so neat! What a wonderful quilt. You have inspired me.

Country Bliss said...

Well done it looks fab, love the stripy back too.
Yvonne x

Hen said...

Gorgeous, well done. You must be feeling very satisfied, it's always lovely to stand back and admire the finished article.
Hen x

V and Co. said...

oh yes you were right! i did love seeing your quilt! sooo lovely!

Mary Poppins said...

Ohoooo you are far to kind to even think about linking to my little effort, I found it very tricky ;)

Yours looks absolutely divine, there is somewhere else I think it would look perfect and cross my fingers for you every day :)

You make beatiful handmade delights and can't wait for you to sell your hearts, can I be first on the list please.

Glad you like the header, well I had to have your special heart there didn't I, a real treasured gift. It is his 4th anniversary tomorrow, do our best to make it a happy day for D and O, special tea and maybe a little cake.

Hugs

X

Diane said...

That looks so amazing - a proper heirloom. The colours look great. You have rekindled my love for patchwork - I'll have to get some on the go.

Helen said...

Just gorgeous! Well done you, I could never make a quilt I haven't got the patience. . . . . . .
Helen

Lisa said...

It's beautiful Clare, well done you. I really like the stripey fabric you chose to back it with. How cosy you'll be.
I've read Scenes from the Museum by Kate Atkinson and really enjoyed that, perhaps I'll keep an eye out for others. I bought 2 Mavis Cheek ones the other day, she's fab too.
One of the books I have read this year is by Anita Burgh and she commented on my blog yesterday to say she hoped I liked it!
Have a great weekend.
Lisa x

Bertie Meadows said...

Hi Clare, I love your quilt, it's gorgeous. It goes well with all the seasons too. I can see Autumnal fabrics, Summer stripes and winter stars - beautiful.
Bertie x

noelle said...

That is just great, it looks lovely on the bed! x x x

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Wow I love the simple colours you've used for this - it makes it look so fresh and modern and the backing is wonderful